Tuesday, August 5, 2008

this is how I felt after completing 108 bows


Monday afternoon we returned to our camp location after enjoying a three-day break between the elementary and middle school sessions. Our hosts arranged for us to attend the Mokpo Maritime Culture Celebration, a trip to Blanco Beach on Jindo Island, a performance of traditional music and dance at the Korean National Namdo Center for Performing Arts, and an overnight temple stay.

While at the Daeheung Buddhist Temple, we were given the opportunity to participate in performing 108 bows following prayer. Several of our group completed the bows, which required us to go from standing position with hands in prayer, to kneeling with forehead touching the ground and hands in supplication. ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT TIMES.

Whew. It wasn't easy, but I'm glad I did it. Most of us were sweating and grimacing when it was all done. And now, three days later, I'm still feeling it in my legs when I go up and down stairs. I can't say I found enlightenment, but it was a good workout.

1 comment:

Living The American Dream In Europe said...

very appropriate title, kimchee and coffee.
Yay for South Korea!